This body was founded in Sydney in February 1880. It supplanted an earlier organisation that the missionary Daniel Matthews had formed in October 1878 to garner support for Maloga Mission. It was a formidable organisation, comprising not only clergymen and philanthropists but leading churchmen and parliamentarians, and boasting the governor as its patron. It increasingly assumed responsibility for Maloga’s affairs as well as those of three other missions in New South Wales. But in 1892, following a decline in the financial support it received from members of the public, it transferred the management of these missions to the New South Wales Aborigines Protection Board.